Planters punch is one among those tall coolers that can transform your mindset to a Caribbean feeling as soon as you take a sip. Conjure up the image of a wide veranda with turquoise seas at a distance and a tall glass of planters punch to enjoy a lazy weekend with your loved ones.
The History of Planter’s Punch
According to the history published about this exotic drink, this drink is popular from the 1800s in the West Indies. While some say, it was derived from the sugar plantations soon after it was fermented in rum and spiced with citrus juices. Some opine that the grave diggers celebrated with a wedding of pineapple juice, rum and citrus fruits to make a wonderful concoction.
In short, this elixir is named as planters drink as it is made suing what grows around you. The ice cubes you use in this drink lend it a slushy feel. Though there is no specific recipe for this drink, planters punch has a solid formula that was developed over time such as 1 part lime, 3 parts rum and 2 parts sugar. But these days, rum’s quality is better and people are diet conscious that the sugary nature of the drink has faded away.
Planter’s Punch Cocktail Recipe
There are 5 tools that are necessary for this recipe. These are as follows:
- Tall Glasses
- A shaker or blender
- Cherry on a cocktail pick
- Decorative small umbrellas
- Spiral straws
This is a classic version of planters punch recipe that uses dark rum. If you feel that dark rum can be overpowering, you can also substitute with white rum or other drinks that you are accustomed to.
- Dark Rum – 45 ml
- Orange Juice – 35 ml
- Fresh juice of lemon – 35 ml
- Grenadine – 10 ml
- Sugar Syrup – 10 ml
- Angostura Bitters – 2 or 4 dashes
- Ice cubes
- Any seasonal fruit of your choice
- Lemon slices – to garnish
How To Make Planters Punch:
- Put all the ingredients of the drink in the shaker or blender and fill half jar with ice cubes.
- Shake well or blend well for more than 20 seconds.
- Strain the mixture and pour into tall glasses filled with crushed ice.
- Garnish with the cubes of seasonal fruit of your choice, cherry on the pick and lime slices.
- Make it appealing with small cocktail umbrellas and stylish straws with a swirl!
Variations in the drink:
- You can add black spiced rum if you wish to have a tingle on your taste buds as it adds a bit of tartness to the drink.
- You can add a bit of vanilla flavored sugar to satiate your sweet tooth cravings
- You can also add grapefruit juice and guava juice along with the pineapple juice to get a pungent tropical feel as the drink hits your back throat.
If you are on the lookout of a perfect drink to chill out this summer while having a beach party or party by the pool, make sure that you choose this planter’s punch cocktail as it will refresh and cool you instantly. The unique feeling and texture lent by this tasty drink will create a party in your mouth as each flavor of the drink would release with each sip.